Create your own virus – Test your antivirus software
Do you want to test your antivirus software to check whether it alive or dead?
First you need to create a virus to test your antivirus software.
Creating a virus?! Yes, I mean it. Here are the steps to create a virus. Don’t worry, this will not harm your computer. If you execute the file, it will print EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE! and then stop.
Steps to create your own virus :
- Paste the below text in a text file.
X5O!P%@AP[4\ PZX54(P^) 7CC)7}$EICAR- STANDARD- ANTIVIRUS- TEST-FILE! $H+H*
- Save the file as myvirus.exe in desktop.
- Within few seconds, your Antivirus will identify this file and take actions(delete/quarantine) on it.
- If it is done, then you can conclude that your antivirus is Alive.
- If your antivirus software does not find this file then it is time to change/update your antivirus.
The file created above is called as EICAR Standard Anti-Virus Test File which was developed by European Institute for Computer Antivirus Research.
This file was developed to test the antivirus softwares without have a real computer virus.